Jesus preaches at the temple—that is what is shown in this illustration for the children’s Bible story book, “BibleRhymes’ Poor Widow.”
The Bible Story
Bible verses that inspired this illustration are in the gospels of Mark and Luke.
Mark 12: 38-40 (KJV)
- And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the market places,
- (39) And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:
- (40) Which devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive damnation.
Teachings of Jesus at the temple were abundant and will be covered in depth on other pages of the BibleRhymes site. But here are a few more verses from Jesus that are always good to read.
Mark 12: 17
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.
Mark 12: 28-31
- And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
- (29) And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
- (30) And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
- (31) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.